Agile Estimating and Planning Increase Effectiveness in Predicting Productivity and Velocity
Understand Estimation Techniques in Agile
Agile Estimation and Planning
Agile estimating and planning provides principles, methods and techniques for effective resource allocation, risk management and predictability for your Agile teams and Agile program leadership.
Agile software estimation and planning addresses how to bridge the differences between budgeting, estimation and planning which are distinct activities and integrate them into an effective practice. In brief:
- Budgeting – Defines how much we have to spend based on the influence of scope and tends to ignore the cone of uncertainty
- Estimation – Presents an approximation of effort and duration based on size and project nature and is focused by the cone of uncertainty (a range based on knowledge)
- Planning – defines tasks and allocates resources and is focused on the narrow part of the cone of uncertainty (a much smaller range)
Agile Estimating and Planning Training
Our training class, combined with follow-on coaching will increase an Agile team’s understanding of the principles and methods, including Fundamental and advanced concepts, of estimating in an Agile environment.
This on-site class is ideal for a Program or Project Manager who needs or wants their Agile team(s) to understand estimation techniques in agile so to better estimate their workload, so that they are more effective in predicting productivity and velocity. This one-day training class along with follow-on coaching provides insight into the multiple options available to size and estimate your team’s workload, resulting in improved predictions as to productivity and time to delivery.
In the course, you will learn:
- Multiple options for sizing and agile software estimation work
- How to generate estimates for level of effort, project duration, project costs, and deliverable quality using agile estimation techniques
- How to better predict time-to-delivery for estimation in agile
Our consulting services are designed as standard, packaged offerings developed from working with clients across various industries. These services are proven effective, but may not fully meet your specific needs. Therefore we offer customized services based on the fundamentals of Agile Estimation and Planning and welcome discussion on your particular circumstances.
Common Agile Estimating and Planning Use Case Scenarios
Usage of Agile Software Estimation Training and Coaching is seen often in these use cases:
When uncertainty is high and the teams know little about what they are building, discovery of functional, technical and environmental factors affect quality of estimates and plans.
When teams are new to the environment or the application or to each other, their level of self-knowledge affects their ability to estimate and plans .
Consistency of Method
When teams lack a consistent process for estimating such as analogy,bottom-up, Delphi or parametric, their ability to produce reliable estimates and plans are hindered.