Elevating the Role of the CIO
The CIO role is not a tech job, it is a BUSINESS job.
If you are a CIO, it’s time to think like a CEO. If you are the CEO, make sure your CIO is considering the following important factors when making technology decisions!
Does the technology:
- Create barriers to entry to your business?
- Lock in customers or give them a better experience with your organization?
- Help predict buying or cost shifts?
- Streamline or automate expensive business processes by reducing costs or speeding up delivery of services?
- Make the business more “green” (also known as conserving resources)?
- Identify new products and market trends?
- Help track or predict competitors moves?
- Identify targets for initiatives?
- Disrupt the market by collapsing a layer in distribution or systemically change the market?
- Increase collaboration or break down silos within the organization?
Notice not one of these factors mentioned a platform, a framework, an architecture, a technology or application or new device. Business FIRST. Technology SECOND. And the smart CIO knows to lead with business.